Great news! We’re live in public beta.
We brought over your books, reviews, connections, and profile so all you have to do is click the login button at the top of the screen. The first time you login, we’ll ask you to enter a new password. This is part of the integration process.
When you login, you’ll see that there are a lot of new features. We created an intro video to show you what’s new.
Here are a few of our favorites:
- Private Messaging: Book Country members who are Connected can send each other private messages. This was the feature you requested the most.
- New Genres: You asked for more genres, and we delivered with over 60 different literary categories on the new Genre Map, including Young Adult, Nonfiction, Literary Fiction, Historical Fiction, Women’s Fiction, Erotica, War & Military Fiction, Horror and many more! Help us grow — invite your friends who write in other categories to join us.
- Newsletters: Sign up to receive inspiring content to help you in your writing and publishing process. To celebrate our re-launch, we’re giving away special Book Country swag to everyone who registers.
- Cover Designer: Create a cover for your book. We think you’ll love our new Cover Design tool.
- New Discussion Forums: We changed the discussion forums to make it easier than ever to reply, quote, and edit your comments so you can focus on the conversation.
- Integrated eBook Publishing Tools: If you’re interested in publishing through Book Country, it’s easy to create an eBook from the manuscripts you’ve previously workshopped on the site.
- Follow: A number of you have noted (thank you for getting in touch) that the ‘Follow’ function has not been brought over to the new site. “Follow” was a handy way of keeping track of books and other members. We’re working on a new feature that makes it even easier to keep track of books and other members. While we’re working on this feature, we’d really love to hear if you were using “Follow” in other ways so that we can incorporate your feedback into the new site. Share your feedback here.
- Peer reviews: we’ve made a slight adjustment to this. We used to require that new members read and review three other members’ work before posting their own. Now, we ask that you review one other member’s book each time that you want to post a new project.
- Ratings: We changed the rating indicators from stars to nibs. We did this because we saw some confusion because other sites assign a star rating as a judgement of the book. At Book Country, we wanted to emphasize that the rating system is an indication for the writer on how ready the book is for publication. Watch our video on Peer Review.
- Connections: It’s now easier than ever to find writers like you and connect with them. We encourage connection — you can send private messages and support each other through the writing and publishing process.
- Badges: All of your badges have been saved; however, we’re not displaying them at this time. We’re evaluating whether or not the badges are helpful. Tell us what you think in the comments below.
- Thumbs up and Down: We’re looking at the reputation system as well. All of your previous karma has been saved. Is this a feature you want? Tell us in the comments below.
If you have comments and suggestions for us, we’d love to read them here.
If you want to report bugs, you can do so here.
On behalf of myself, our founder, Molly, our coordinator, Nevena, and the entire Book Country team, thank you for being a part of our writing and publishing community. Welcome to the new Book Country!